New Online Library Coming to CoursePlus This Week
The new Online Library is finally arriving in CoursePlus this week. We had originally planned on rolling it out during the second term, but we received feedback from faculty who felt this would be disruptive. Now that we're between terms (but still in the Winter Institute), we felt that it was a good time to make this new version of the Online Library available to you.
One big, important note about this new version of the Online Library: the new Online Library will not work in Internet Explorer 7. We know that there are some faculty and staff who still use Internet Explorer 7 to access CoursePlus. However, the Center stopped supporting Internet Explorer 7 for online courses and CoursePlus in June, 2011. For a recap of the reasons why support for IE7 was ended, please see this blog post.
We have tested the Online Library against a number of modern Web browsers, and found no problems. Tested and supported browsers include:
- Internet Explorer 8 and 9
- Firefox 5 and later
- Google Chrome
- A merge of the old Online Library and Web Links tools. You now manage both files and weblinks in the same place. Students also see files and weblinks on the same Online Library page in CoursePlus sites.
- Drag and drop reordering of files and folders in the library.
- Record an Audio Note (brief audio recording) directly into the Online Library. That Audio Note is then automatically converted into an MP3 file for students to download.
- Upload of multiple files at once.
- Visual feedback while uploading files so you know how long the upload will take.
- Replace a file with a new version without deleting the file from the library.
- Open/close dates on folders as well as individual files.
- Send an email to the entire class when you've uploaded a new file.
- Block individual students from viewing specific files (good for hiding an answer key from students who have not completed a homework exercise.)
- Track which students have downloaded which files or clicked on which weblinks in the library.
- A streamlined, single-page interface for doing all the work you need to do in the Online Library.