New Drop Box Feature: Submit Files for a Group!
A long-requested feature has arrived in the Drop Box in online courses: the ability for a student to submit a file on behalf of a group. Here's how this works:
- When setting up a Drop Box, you can specify that students can turn in a file for a group in the Drop Box. Note that students have to be assigned to groups in the Course Groups tool in order to use this feature.
- When a student submits a file to a group-enabled Drop Box, the student sees a drop-down list of all the course groups to which she is assigned. If the student is turning in a file for the group, she selects the appropriate course group from the list.
- When a student submits a file, all group members get an email confirmation of file submission.
- If a student in the group goes to the Drop Box page, it shows that the file was submitted by the other student and provides a link to the file.
- On the faculty/TA side of the Drop Box, all group members are shown as having turned in the file, and that the file was turned in by the person who submitted the file to the Drop Box.
- When the file is downloaded from the Drop Box, it shows the group name instead of the student name, and flags the file as being downloaded for each member of the group.
- If you upload a group-submitted file from the Drop Box to the Gradebook, all students in the group get a copy of the uploaded group file. You have to assgin grades individually to each student in the group, though, because our research found that individual students in a group usually get different grades based on contributions and performance.
We hope you find this feature useful. This feature will be coming to the Drop Box in CoursePlus around the start of second term, so it will be available for all courses at the School.